9 HEALTHY LIFESTYLE TIPS FOR ADULTS
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is important, in today’s scenario. It is common to hear about some or the other problem related to health faced by individuals. Your sedentary lifestyle and lack of physical exercise are the two major contributors for lifestyle disorder.
Here are 9 habits you can include in your daily routine to lead a healthy lifestyle.
1. MAKE BALANCED FOOD CHOICE
You should include variety of food in your meal. Our body needs more than 40 different nutrients. Eating same food everyday doesn’t give the required nutrients to the body.
It is important to have a balanced diet which will provide multiple nutrients required for your body.
2. EAT REGULARLY BUT CONTROL YOUR PORTIONS
The key to remain healthy is by eating regularly and in the right amount. You should never starve yourself. Skipping a meal like breakfast, will lead to out of control hunger. And this will further result in binge eating or over eating of food. While, eating in-between the meals will help you to control your hunger.
You can carry keep unsalted nuts, fruits, yoghurt, dry fruits as snack items with you.
Also, you should pay attention to the portion you eat. Eating in right amount will help you to enjoy your food without having to eliminate it.
3. EAT PLENTIFUL FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
Fruits and Vegetables are good source for vitamins, minerals and fibre required by our body. We should include at least 4-5 servings daily. E.g. A glass of juice in the morning, one portion of fruit during snack time and rest (vegetables) can be taken during lunch and dinner.
4. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS
Drinking plenty of fluids keep your body hydrated. An adult requires 1.5 liters or 8 glass or more fluid a day. Water is the best source for having fluids but you can also include fruit juices, milk, tea etc.
5. REDUCE YOUR SALT AND SUGAR INTAKE
A diet rich in salt can result in high blood pressure which increases the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Ways to reduce salt intake –
- Buy a low sodium salt
- Do not keep salt at the table
- Do not add salt after the food is cooked
- Do not add salt before tasting the food.
While, a diet rich in sugar can provide instant energy but should be consumed in moderation. We can use natural products as sweetener like fruits, dates etc.
6. MAINTAIN A HEALTHY BODY WEIGHT
Maintaining a right weight is important for us to remain healthy. It decreases the risk of diseases like diabetes, heart disease etc. Every individual weight depends on multiple factors like gender, height, age, and genes and accordingly the calorie intake is required.
7. GET ON THE MOVE, MAKE IT A HABIT
It is important for every individual to have some physical activity. Having some kind of physical activity –
- Helps us in burning that extra calories
- Is good for your heart and circulatory system
- It helps in maintaining body mass
- It also helps in overall well-being.
150 minutes per week of moderate physical activity should be part of your daily routine to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Some tips for walking on the move can be-
- Use the stairs instead of lifts/elevator (where ever possible)
- Go for a walk during lunch breaks
- Walk while you are on the mobile phones (on a vehicle free road)
8. REPLACE SATURATED WITH UNSATURATED FAT
Fats are important for your good health and proper functioning of the body. But excess of anything is not good for your body. You should limit your consumption of saturated fats.
Things which can be kept in mind to reduce the intake of saturated fat.
- Avoid trans fats completely
- You can Boil, Steam, Bake the food instead of frying.
9. MAKE THE CHANGS GRADUALLY
You should always start slow. Make small changes instead of major one. It becomes easier for our body to accept small deviation compared to big ones. Small changes which can be done –
- Reduce the portion of your favorite food which is rich in fats than not consuming at all.
- Include some physical activity in your routine.
- Add small portion or fruits/vegetable in your diet.
So, what are you waiting for? Bring these small changes in your routine to lead a healthy lifestyle.
If you have any queries, visit Felix hospital and meet the experts